At Territory X-Ray Services in Darwin, echocardiograms are reported by Northern Australian cardiologists.
All Medicare-eligible Echocardiogrpahy Services are bulk-billed under HIC guidelines.
An echocardiogram (echo) is an ultrasound of your heart, using sound-waves to generate detailed images of the heart chambers, internal structures, and the great vessels linked to your heart. There is no radiation involved with echos.
The most common form of echocardiography is a trans-thoracic echo (TTE) which involves a specially trained cardiac sonographer or doctor to move an ultrasound probe across your chest to generate images from different angles to appreciate cardiac function and structures
Your echo results can reveal
- how well your heart is pumping,
- the size of your heart and its chambers,
- how well your valves are working that permit blood flowing through your heart in the right direction,
- if there is any fluid around your heart,
- if there any blood clots inside your heart, and
- if there are any problems with the great vessels surrounding your heart
MBS items for Echocardiography
From August 01 2020, The Australian Government has made changes to Medicare-funded cardiac imaging services to support high-value care and ensure patients have access to the most appropriate tests for their individual symptoms and conditions.
Please see attached document from Territory X-Ray Services regarding Echocardiography services Medicare-eligible